Sunday, April 22, 2018
Familish - Covenant Family!
Family-ish Pt 6 – Covenant Family
God is a God of covenant. He establishes them and then operates through them. The first covenant he established was the family – Adam & Eve. Then God established his commitment to carry out his covenant in the earth through a series of families. God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Ex. 3: 6 Then he said, “I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob.” At this, Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God.
Then 12 tribes, clans and family units (complex system of family ties) Gen. 49: 28 All these are the twelve tribes of Israel, and this is what their father said to them when he blessed them, giving each the blessing appropriate to him.
Nothing can happen in the earth without family connection ties and covenant. God even provided salvation to mankind by placing his son in the hands of a family to nurture and raise. (Jesus, Mary and Joseph and his brothers and sisters) Matthew 12:46 While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him.
In order for the family walk in their covenant and receive their covenant blessings, they must carry out the covenant. How? Five ways to activate the covenant family.
1. Give Grace – Col 3:12-14 - 12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
a) Perfect love casts out all fear
b) While we were sinners Christ died for us – Romans 5:8 - But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
c) There are consequences to unconditional love.
d) What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace increases?
2. Be Intentional – Isaiah 46:10 - I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say, 'My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.'
a) You are my chosen people
b) Jesus said this day you will be with me in paradise.
c) Make family goals and stick to them.
3. Become Intimate – Eph. 4:29-32 - 29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
a) Turn up the trust.
b) Turn to one another.
c) Turn off the TV and devices.
d) Turn up the conversations.
4. Empower one another – Colossians 4:18-21 18 Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.
19 Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them. 20 Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord. 21 Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged.
a) Learn one another roles and respect them.
b) God has empowered every family member to live to their fullest potential.
c) Know the family business and carry it out. Luke 2:49 - 49 “Why were you searching for me?” he asked. “Didn’t you know I had to be in my Father’s house?”
5. Learn from life lessons – Romans 8:28 - 28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
a) Bad things happen to good families
b) Count it all joy – James 1:2-3 - 2 Consider [count] it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.
c) God is for our family – no one can defeat our family. Romans 8:37 “No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.”
Dear Lord make my house your house. You are welcome here! We need you to abide with us, protect us, prosper us and bring peace to our home. You are our first priority! We worship you in spirit and in truth. Help us to obey your word and know your will. Help us to speak well of you and spread your gospel as living epistles in the earth. Enable us to support and serve our church with our time, talent, and tithes. Help us to be a family that walks by faith and not by sight nor in our feelings. Help us to be a covenant family; to give grace to one another, be intentional, become closer, empower each other and learn from our mistakes. We pray in Jesus name Amen!
Pericope: Acts 16: 16-25 Scriptural Text: Acts 16:25 Sermon Title: The Power of True worship Point 1. True Worship is not situat...
Sermon Text: Lev 23: 9 – 10 Sermon Title: The Favor of First Fruit Point 1: The Facts of First Fruit First fruit is part of the Jewish fe...
Pericope: I Kings 3: 3 – 9 Sermon Text: 1 Kings 3: 9 Sermon Title: “Black Panther vs Trump” Introduction: There is something going...
God's Will, Will WIN...How to Handle Wild Relationships! Sermon Text: Gen 21:12 - But God said to him, “Do not be so distres...