Pericope: Matthew 26:39b
Sermon Text: Matt 26:39b - 39 … “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.”
Sermon Title: The Anatomy of a Decision
1. Seek God’s wisdom – James 1: 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.
2. Determine whose will vs. 42 - 42 He went away a second time and prayed, “My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.”
3. Count the cost/consequences - Luke 14:28 “Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you haveenough money to complete it?
4. Determine his gate or my gate. Matt 7:13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.
a. Wide or narrow
b. Many or few
5. Will it bear fruit or futility? – Gal. 6:7-9 - 7 Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. 8 Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. 9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
6. Is it a destiny decision? – Ps 139:24b – lead me in the way of everlasting