Saturday, August 19, 2017
Sermon Text: Phil 3:10 I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death,
Sermon Title: Power Surge – Pt 6 – Resurrection Power
Point 1: The Power to Relate – vs. 10a – I want to know Christ…
When you look at the Greek word for know “gnonai” which means to know by experience. You now see what Paul was after. This isn’t the word know as in intercourse as in Adam know Eve; your daddy know you momma and along came you. That is a one time event that could or could not include a long term intimate relationship. This know means experientially.
Paul said I want to know Jesus in different situations. Some of us only know Jesus for Sunday. Some of us only know Jesus for certain situations. That is permissible and good, but please try him for Monday situations. Tuesday situations. Wednesday situations. Saturday night situations. Family situations. School situations.
Point 2: The Power to Participate. Vs. 10b and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings
Unlike the other high priests, he does not need to offer sacrifices day after day, first for his own sins, and then for the sins of the people. He sacrificed for their sins once for all when he offered himself.
· Isaiah 53:3 He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering. Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
· Rom 8:17 - Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.
· 1 Pet 5:10 And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.
a) Suffering sets you up for more – e.g. caterpillar and butterfly
b) Suffering shapes you to focus on his Power – you cannot smell the fragrance of perfume without someone crushing some flowers.
c) Suffering Helps to Surrender your Will - CH Spurgeon there are no crown wearers in heaven who were not cross bearers below.
Point 3: Rejuvenated by his Power - vs. 11and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.
Vs. 3:7, 8 - 7But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ.
Philippians 1:6 - being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
Philippians 2: 13 for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.
1. Receive Jesus and you will receive his resurrection power
2. Put his resurrection power to the test in every situation and circumstance you face.
3. Learn how to increase the resurrection power in your life by connecting to a LifeGroup.
Wednesday, August 16, 2017
Sermon Text: 2 Timothy 1:7 - 7 For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.
Sermon Title: Power Surge Pt 5 The Fear Factor
Point 1: Fear zaps your power and leaves you faithless.
Mark 4:35-39 – 35 That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, “Let us go over to the other side.” 36 Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. 37 A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. 38 Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, “Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?” 39 He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.
Matthew 14:24-31 - 24 and the boat was already a considerable
distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it. 25 Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear. 27 But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be
Point 2: Power in the face of fear must be invoked. Lets look at when David faces Goliath.
1 Sam 17:45 – Then David said to the Philistine, “You come to me with a sword and with a spear and with a javelin, but I come to you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied.
1. Trade your baby power
a. Acts 2:4 – And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.
b. 1 John 4:4 (KJV) 4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
2. Stop shaking and start invoking
3. Join a LifeGroup where you can get power from the strength of others holding you up.
Sunday, August 13, 2017
Sermon Text: Ephesians 1: 19 and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength,
Sermon Title: Power Surge Pt 3: Will Power
Timothy 1: 7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power…God willed us power. In other words, it’s in word which is his last will and testament. We have to receive it so we can live powerful lives.
Paul said as much to the church at Ephesus. Paul says this in his outside voice…EPHESIANS GODS POWER IS INCOMPREHENSIABLE AND HE WANTS YOU TO HAVE IT.
Point 1: Power over pain
Ephesians 1: 7
Psalms 34: 19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous but God will deliver them out of them all
Point 2: Power over the past
Phil 3: 13(b) Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead (14) I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus
God knows my every move we have made and will make
· PSA 24:1 The earth is the Lord’s, and all it contains, The world, and those who dwell in it.
· JER 1:5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations."
· PSA 139:13 For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother’s womb.
· We see in the book of Jonah that Jonah tried to hide from God, but God knew where he was.
· PSA 69:5 O God, it is You who knows my folly, And my wrongs are not hidden from You.
But he still wants you to have his power so you can overcome the bad moves you made in your past.
Point 3: Power over his promises 2 Corinthians 1: 20 For all the promises of God in him are yea and Amen Heb. 6: 12 …faith and patience inherit the promise 2 Peter 3: 9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance
1. Stop wrestling with God for the controls over your life
2. Accept the fact he has the power to change you
3. Accept the fact God has already written you and I in his will
Come to the reading of the will…he is have given you power to live. Recharge your batteries.
Wednesday, August 9, 2017
Sermon Text: Luke 10:19 - I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you.
Sermon Title: Power Surge Pt. 2: Authorized Personnel Only
Point 1: Delegated Power
Point 2: Demonstrated Power
Point 3: Determined Power
Sunday, August 6, 2017
Sermon Text: 2 Corinthians 12:8 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me.
Sermon Title: Power Surge Pt 1: Power Outage
Point 1: There must be a plea for God’s power vs 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. The text says Paul prayed three times. The Greek word for three as it is used in the text means he prayed multiple times not just three time and that was it.
a) 1 Thes 5: 17 Pray without ceasing Topray without ceasing means not to faint or lose heart or lose faith
b) Pray don’t beg. Begging has to do with lack of faith. Begging has to do with you don’t believe the person will do it so you think if you change how you ask it will happen. If I BEG…Matt 6: 5 And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogue… (7)…do not keep babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words (8) your father knows what you need
c) James 4: 3 You have not because you ask not and when you ask you ask in a midst (wrong motives)
Point 2: God’s power works best in your weakness 7(b) …there was given me a thorn in my flesh, to torment me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
a) Was it physical?
b) Was it mental?
c) It was a handicap that Satan used against Paul
Point 3: God’s power is brought to completeness in my weakness 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong
Three times Paul asked for relief. Three times God answered his prayer vs. 9 He [God] said… a direct word from God answered…God said the following:
a) My power works best in…
b) My power is brought to its...
c) My power and your pain...
1. Ask God for power to overcome your pain
2. When you have done all you can do to stand, stand
3. Don’t pray for the pain to stop pray for the power to increase
Sunday, July 30, 2017
Sermon Text: Isaiah 40:31 - but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Sermon Title: 12 Ways to Wait on God!
1. Don’t throw in the towel! 1 Cor. 15:58 - 58 Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.
2. Don’t pray for patience! Rom. 5:3 - 3 Not only so, but we[a] also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;
3. Don’t talk too much! Proverbs 18:21 - The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.
4. Encourage yourself! 1 Samuel 30:6- And David was greatly distressed; for the people spake of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and for his daughters: but David encouraged himself in the LORD his God.
5. Get a prayer partner! Matt 18 20 For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them."
6. Permit and admit your weakness! 2 Cor. 12:9 - But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.
7. Remember what God has already done! Psalm 103:2 - Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits,
8. God is not punishing you! Romans 8:31 What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
9. God is at work! 2 Peter 3:8 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.
10. Memorialize the moment! Joshua 4: 3 and command them, saying, ‘Take twelve stones from here out of the midst of the Jordan, from the very place where the priests' feet stood firmly, and bring them over with you and lay them down in the place where you lodge tonight.’” Genesis 26:25 - Isaac built an altar there and called on the name of the LORD. There he pitched his tent, and there his servants dug a well.
11. Worship while you wait! 1. Worship while you wait! Neh. 8:10 Nehemiah said, "Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is holy to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the LORD is your strength." Psalms 73:17 till I entered the sanctuary of God; then I understood their final destiny.
12. Don’t give up on God! Gal. 6:9 - 9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.; Psalms 27:13-14 - 13 I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. 14 Wait for the Lord; be strong and take hear and wait for the Lord.
Wednesday, July 26, 2017
Sermon Text: Isaiah 40:31 - 31 but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Sermon Title: Spiritual Spinach!
Point 1: No matter how big your problem, your God is bigger! Vs. 18, 21, 28; vs. 12-14 - 18 With whom, then, will you compare God? To what image will you liken him? 21 Do you not know?
Have you not heard? Has it not been told you from the beginning? Have you not understood since the earth was founded? 28 Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.
Vs 12-14 12 Who has measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, or with the breadth of his hand marked off the heavens?
Who has held the dust of the earth in a basket, or weighed the mountains on the scales and the hills in a balance? 13 Who can fathom the Spirit[d] of the Lord, or instruct the Lord as his counselor? 14 Whom did the Lord consult to enlighten him, and who taught him the right way? Who was it that taught him knowledge, or showed him the path of understanding?
Point 2: Be ready for the infusion of power. Vs. 29 - 29 He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.
Point 3: Know your limits. Vs. 30 - 30 Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall;
1 Kings 19:4 - 4 while he himself went a day’s journey into the wilderness. He came to a broom bush, sat down under it and prayed that he might die. “I have had enough, Lord,” he said. “Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors.”
Point 4: Live a life of hope. Vs. 31 - 31 but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Gal. 6:9 - 9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
1. Don’t throw in the towel – hold on and keep moving forward
2. Do not pray for patience, pray for power.
3. Do not give up on God – Trust God no matter what.
Sermon Text : Phil 3:10 I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming lik...
Sermon Text: Lev 23: 9 – 10 Sermon Title: The Favor of First Fruit Point 1: The Facts of First Fruit First fruit is part of the Jewish fe...
Sermon Text: Mark 16: 7 But go, tell His disciples and Peter that He is going before you into Galilee; there you will see Him, as He said...
Sermon Text: Hebrews 11: 19 Abraham reasoned that God could raise the dead, and figuratively speaking, he did receive Isaac back from the ...