Sunday, October 22, 2017
Sermon Text: Nehemiah 1: When I hear these things, I sat down and wept. For some days I mourned and fasted and prayed before the God of heaven.
Sermon Title: Don’t Mess With (t)His House: Pt 4 God Bless My House—Please
Point 1: Project His House Nehemiah 6: 16 And when all our enemies heard of it, all the nations around us were afraid and fell greatly in their own esteem, for they perceived that this work had been accomplished with the help of our God. Joshua 2: 9…a great fear of you have fallen on us…melting in fear because of you (10) we have heard how the Lord dried up the water of the Red Sea… (11) …everyone’s courage failed because of you, for the Lord your God is God…
Point 2: Protect His House Nehemiah 4: 16, 17 From that day on, half of my men did the work, while the other half were equipped with spears, shields, bows and armor… (17) …did their work with one hand and held a weapon in the other…
Point 3: Pay for His House Nehemiah 5: 12 We will give it back…we will not demand anything more from them…Then I summoned the priests and made the nobles and officials take an oath to do what they promised (13) I also shook out the folds of my robe and said, “In this way may God shake out of his house and possessions every man who does not keep this promise. So may such a man be shaken out and emptied…the whole assembly said Amen and praised the Lord…
Exodus 25: 2 Tell the Israelites to bring me an offering (2) You are to receive an offering for me from each man whose heart prompts him to give…36: 6 Then Moses gave an order and they sent this word throughout the camp: “No man or woman is to make anything else as an offering for the sanctuary,” And so the people were restrained from bringing more, (7) because what they already had was more than enough to do all the work.
Point 4: Provides for my House 2 Chronicles 31: 10 …Since the people began to bring their contributions to the temple of the LORD, we have had enough to eat and plenty to spare, because the LORD has blessed his people, and this great amount is left over.
Wednesday, October 18, 2017
Pericope: Nehemiah 1:4-6a
Sermon Text: Nehemiah 5: 18 Now what was prepared at my expense[d] for each day was one ox and six choice sheep and birds, and every ten days all kinds of wine in abundance. Yet for all this I did not demand the food allowance of the governor, because the service was too heavy on this people. 19 Remember for my good, O my God, all that I have done for this people.
Sermon Title: Don’t Mess with (t)His House Pt 2(a) Invest in the House
Nehemiah arrives to finish what Ezra started.
1. He prayed – 1:4 - 4 As soon as I heard these words I sat down and wept and mourned for days, and I continued fasting and praying before the God of heaven.
2. He paid attention to detail – 2: 17 Then I said to them, “You see the trouble we are in, how Jerusalem lies in ruins with its gates burned. Come, let us build the wall of Jerusalem, that we may no longer suffer derision.”
3. He pushed back on the opposition. 4:1, 6 - Now when Sanballat heard that we were building the wall, he was angry and greatly enraged, and he jeered at the Jews. 6 So we built the wall. And all the wall was joined together to half its height, for the people had a mind to work.
4. He put his money where his heart was. 5:18 - 18 Now what was prepared at my expense[a] for each day was one ox and six choice sheep and birds, and every ten days all kinds of wine in abundance. Yet for all this I did not demand the food allowance of the governor,…
5. He put a praise on it. 6:15, 16; 8:5-6 - 15 So the wall was finished on the twenty-fifth day of the month Elul, in fifty-two days. 16 And when all our enemies heard of it, all the nations around us were afraid and fell greatly in their own esteem, for they perceived that this work had been accomplished with the help of our God.
5 And Ezra opened the book in the sight of all the people, for he was above all the people, and as he opened it all the people stood. 6 And Ezra blessed the LORD, the great God, and all the people answered, “Amen, Amen,” lifting up their hands. And they bowed their heads and worshiped the LORD with their faces to the ground.
Saturday, October 14, 2017
Sermon Text: Ezra 8:30 So the priest and the Levites took over the weight of the silver and the gold and the vessels, to bring them to Jerusalem, to the house of our God.
Sermon Title: Don’t Mess with (t)His House Pt 2 – Invest in the House
Point 1: It was a unified effort. Vs. 24 Then I set out apart from the leading priests, together… 25…all Israel present there had donated for the house of our God.
Point 2: Their giving was holy and it made them holy vs 28…you are holy to the Lord and the vessels are holy, and the silver and the gold are freewill offering to the Lord…
Acts 10: 2 He and his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need… (4) Cornelius…[the angel said]Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before the Lord. Paul put it this way in 2 Cor 9: 10 ESV He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness
Point 3: They were commanded to give. Ezra 7:21…Whatever the Ezra the priest requires of you let it be done with all diligence
Point 4: They expected a return on their investment. They expected rebuilding the Temple to do the following:
a. To change lives
b. To leave a legacy
c. To establish their culture
d. To expand the kingdom
2. Point 5: They learned it’s not about money its about making a difference. Haggai 1:2 -11
3. 2 “Thus says the LORD of hosts: These people say the time has not yet come to rebuild the house of the LORD.” 3 Then the word of the LORD came by the hand of Haggai the prophet, 4 “Is it a time for you yourselves to dwell in your paneled houses, while this house lies in ruins? 5 Now, therefore, thus says the LORD of hosts: Consider your ways. 6 You have sown much, and harvested little. You eat, but you never have enough; you drink, but you never have your fill. You clothe yourselves, but no one is warm. And he who earns wages does so to put them into a bag with holes. 7 “Thus says the LORD of hosts: Consider your ways. 8 Go up to the hills and bring wood and build the house, that I may take pleasure in it and that I may be glorified, says the LORD. 9 You looked for much, and behold, it came to little. And when you brought it home, I blew it away. Why? declares the LORD of hosts. Because of my house that lies in ruins, while each of you busies himself with his own house. 10 Therefore the heavens above you have withheld the dew, and the earth has withheld its produce. 11 And I have called for a drought on the land and the hills, on the grain, the new wine, the oil, on what the ground brings forth, on man and beast, and on all their labors.”
Sunday, October 8, 2017
Sermon Text: Ezra 3:1-3 3 When the seventh month came and the Israelites had settled in their towns, the people assembled together as one in Jerusalem. 2 Then Joshua son of Jozadak and his fellow priests and Zerubbabel son of Shealtiel and his associates began to build the altar of the God of Israel to sacrifice burnt offerings on it, in accordance with what is written in the Law of Moses the man of God. (8c) …and all those who had returned from captivity to Jerusalem began the work…
Sermon Title: Don’t Mess with (t)His House: Pt 1 The House Connection
Point 1: There is a connection between Gods house and your house.
- Aachen Joshua 7: 10 The Lord said to Joshua, Get up! Why have you fallen on your face? (11) Israel has sinned; they have transgressed my covenant that I commanded them; they have taken some of the devoted things; they have stolen and lied and put them among their own belongings. (14) In the morning therefore, you shall be brought nearby our tribe…clans…household…man by man (20) And Achan answered Joshua, Truly I have sinned against the Lord God of Israel
Notice the connection between Achan and the entire nation of Israel.
Notice the use of plural but it ends up being one individual
- Eli Ichabod 1 Sam 4: 21 And she named the child Ichabod, saying, the glory has departed from Israel because the ark of God had been captured and because of her father in law and her husband
Look at the connection between the actions of Eli and his sons and the actions God took
Notice how the daughter in law could discern what God was doing and it even played out in her womb. That is close to home…
- David Ark of Covenant II Samuel 6: 10…David took it [Ark of the Covenant] aside to Obed-edom the Gittite (11) And the ark of the Lord remained in the house of Obed-edom the Gittite three months and the Lord blessed Obed-edom and all his household
Point 2. There will always be opposition against building God’s house and your house. Ezra 4:1-6 23-24 4 When the enemies of Judah and Benjamin heard that the exiles were building a temple for the Lord, the God of Israel, 2 they came to Zerubbabel and to the heads of the families and said, “Let us help you build because, like you, we seek your God and have been sacrificing to him since the time of Esarhaddon king of Assyria, who brought us here.”
3 But Zerubbabel, Joshua and the rest of the heads of the families of Israel answered, “You have no part with us in building a temple to our God. We alone will build it for the Lord, the God of Israel, as King Cyrus, the king of Persia, commanded us.”4 Then the peoples around them set out to discourage the people of Judah and make them afraid to go on building. 5 They bribed officials to work against them and frustrate their plans during the entire reign of Cyrus king of Persia and down to the reign of Darius king of Persia. Later Opposition Under Xerxes and Artaxerxes 6 At the beginning of the reign of Xerxes, they lodged an accusation against the people of Judah and Jerusalem.
Point 3. There must be a Disposition of Defiance in order to build the house of God. Ezra 6:14-15 14 So the elders of the Jews continued to build and prosper under the preaching of Haggai the prophet and Zechariah, a descendant of Iddo. They finished building the temple according to the command of the God of Israel… 15 The temple was completed on the third day of the month Adar…
1. New Life we…
2. We build God’s house…
3. We build this house…
Sunday, October 1, 2017
Pericope: Jeremiah 1: 4 – 9
Sermon Text: Proverbs 19: 21 Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the Lords purpose that prevails
Sermon Title: Do You Have a Plan for Your Purpose?
Point 1: Purpose without a plan is frustration vs. 8 “Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you”, declares the Lord.
Point 2: Purpose requires persistence and perseverance Jer 38: 6 So they took Jeremiah and cast him into the cistern of Malchiah, the king’s son, which was in the court of the guard, letting Jeremiah down by ropes And there was no water in the cistern, but only mud, and Jeremiah sank in the mud.
Point 3: Purpose activates God’s promises
Psalms 37: 23 – 25 If the Lord delights in a man’s way, he makes his steps firm; (24) though he stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand (25) I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread.
Hebrews 10: 23 Let us hold fast to the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promises is faithful
Jer 38: 13 Then they drew Jeremiah up with ropes and lifted him out of the cistern…
1. You cannot achieve your purpose in life without God’s plans
2. You have to permit God to work things together for your good
Sunday, September 24, 2017
On My Way to the Other Side Summary
Main Text: Luke 8:22 22 One day Jesus said to his disciples, “Let us go over to the other side of the lake.” So they got into a boat and set out.
Definition: Other side is defined as successfully accomplishing any problem you may have: financial; family; physical; emotional, etc.
1: Set Sail. It’s time to leave from where you are. Vs 22(b) “Let us go over to the other side of the lake.” so they get into a boat and set out.
2. Stay Focused. You will encounter danger and opposition along the way Vs 23(b) squall came down on the lake, so that the boat was being swamped a squall came down…
3. Set your eyes on the prize. Keep your eyes on the other side vs 23 As they sailed, he fell asleep. A squall came down on the lake, so that the boat was being swamped, and they were in great danger.
4. Have Faith. Step up your faith. Jesus is on board vs 24 The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Master, Master, we’re going to drown!” The disciples went and woke him up.
5. This is scheduled, not a suggestion. Going to the other side was Jesus idea vs 22 One day Jesus said to his disciples, “Let us go over to the other side of the lake.” One day Jesus said to the disciples “Lets Go”
6. When faced with trial, test, tribulation, etc. God is a very present help in the time of trouble. Psalms 46:1 - God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
7. When you are in the battle of your life, God goes with you to fight for you and give you the victory. Deut. 20:4 - For the LORD your God is the one who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory."
8. When you have to make a critical decision. James 1:5 - 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.
9. When you are feeling anxious. Philippians 4:6-7, 19 - 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 19 And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.
10. When you are overwhelmed with doubt. He who is faithful keeps his promises. Hebrews 10:23 NLT - Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promise.
Five Lessons Learned from a Leper
2 Kings 7:4 KJV- 4If we say, We will enter into the city, then the famine is in the city, and we shall die there: and if we sit still here, we die also. Now therefore come, and let us fall unto the host of the Syrians: if they save us alive, we shall live; and if they kill us, we shall but die.
11. Don’t Just Sit There - vs 4 4 If we sit here…
12: Don’t Just Die There – vs 4 we shall die
13: Speak Up- vs 3 we will go into…
14: Get Up - vs 5 they rose up
15: Line Up - vs7 7 Wherefore they arose and fled in the twilight, and left their tents,
Two Steps Forward and One Step Backwards
Vs. 10b - “I will surely multiply your offspring so that they cannot be numbered for multitude.”
vs 9(b) Go back to your mistress and submit to her.”
16: Realize you can’t run away from your problems - vs 8 8 And he said, “Hagar, slave of Sarai, where have you come from, and where are you going?”.
17: Return and Repair – vs. 9 9 Then the angel of the Lord told her, “Go back to your mistress and submit to her.”
18: Receive what God has for you - vs 10 10 The angel added, “I will increase your descendants so much that they will be too numerous to count.”
Gen 21:14,17,18 14 Early the next morning Abraham took some food and a skin of water and gave them to Hagar. He set them on her shoulders and then sent her off with the boy. She went on her way and wandered in the Desert of Beersheba. 17 God heard the boy crying, and the angel of God called to Hagar from heaven and said to her, “What is the matter, Hagar? Do not be afraid; God has heard the boy crying as he lies there. 18 Lift the boy up and take him by the hand, for I will make him into a great nation.”Conclusion:
Sunday, September 17, 2017
Sermon Text: Genesis 16: 8(a) And he said, “Hagar, slave of Sarai, where have you come from, and where are you going?”
Sermon Title: Two Steps Forward and One Step Backwards
Vs. 10b - “I will surely multiply your offspring so that they cannot be numbered for multitude.”
vs 9(b) Go back to your mistress and submit to her.”
1: Realize you can’t run away from your problems
vs 8 8 And he said, “Hagar, slave of Sarai, where have you come from, and where are you going?”.
2: Return and Repair – vs. 9 9 Then the angel of the Lord told her, “Go back to your mistress and submit to her.”
3: Receive what God has for you - vs 10 10 The angel added, “I will increase your descendants so much that they will be too numerous to count.”
Gen 21:14,17,18 14 Early the next morning Abraham took some food and a skin of water and gave them to Hagar. He set them on her shoulders and then sent her off with the boy. She went on her way and wandered in the Desert of Beersheba. 17 God heard the boy crying, and the angel of God called to Hagar from heaven and said to her, “What is the matter, Hagar? Do not be afraid; God has heard the boy crying as he lies there. 18 Lift the boy up and take him by the hand, for I will make him into a great nation.”
1. To the best of your ability…clear up your past so you can focus on your future.
2. No one can… stop your progress but you
3. Operate… in the gift of goodbye and greet your future
Sermon Text: Nehemiah 1: When I hear these things, I sat down and wept. For some days I mourned and fasted and prayed before the God of he...
Sermon Text: Lev 23: 9 – 10 Sermon Title: The Favor of First Fruit Point 1: The Facts of First Fruit First fruit is part of the Jewish fe...
Sermon Text: Mark 16: 7 But go, tell His disciples and Peter that He is going before you into Galilee; there you will see Him, as He said...
Sermon Text: Hebrews 11: 19 Abraham reasoned that God could raise the dead, and figuratively speaking, he did receive Isaac back from the ...