Sermon Text: Phil 3:10 I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death,
Sermon Title: Power Surge – Pt 6 – Resurrection Power
Point 1: The Power to Relate – vs. 10a – I want to know Christ…
When you look at the Greek word for know “gnonai” which means to know by experience. You now see what Paul was after. This isn’t the word know as in intercourse as in Adam know Eve; your daddy know you momma and along came you. That is a one time event that could or could not include a long term intimate relationship. This know means experientially.
Paul said I want to know Jesus in different situations. Some of us only know Jesus for Sunday. Some of us only know Jesus for certain situations. That is permissible and good, but please try him for Monday situations. Tuesday situations. Wednesday situations. Saturday night situations. Family situations. School situations.
Point 2: The Power to Participate. Vs. 10b and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings
Unlike the other high priests, he does not need to offer sacrifices day after day, first for his own sins, and then for the sins of the people. He sacrificed for their sins once for all when he offered himself.
· Isaiah 53:3 He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering. Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
· Rom 8:17 - Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.
· 1 Pet 5:10 And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.
a) Suffering sets you up for more – e.g. caterpillar and butterfly
b) Suffering shapes you to focus on his Power – you cannot smell the fragrance of perfume without someone crushing some flowers.
c) Suffering Helps to Surrender your Will - CH Spurgeon there are no crown wearers in heaven who were not cross bearers below.
Point 3: Rejuvenated by his Power - vs. 11and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.
Vs. 3:7, 8 - 7But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ.
Philippians 1:6 - being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
Philippians 2: 13 for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.
1. Receive Jesus and you will receive his resurrection power
2. Put his resurrection power to the test in every situation and circumstance you face.
3. Learn how to increase the resurrection power in your life by connecting to a LifeGroup.