EVANGELISM SMALL GROUP
RESOURCES: Share Jesus Without Fear by William Faye
Broadman and Holmon Share Jesus without Fear Pocket Bible
Broadman and Holmon Share Jesus without Fear Pocket Bible
The Life Book (Teenagers) twitter.com/lifebook facebook.com/thelifebookmovement
I. What is Evangelism?
Glorifying God through obedience to the Great Commission.
Matt 28:19-20 “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19“Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,20teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
ASK: How do you know if you’ve been successful in your Evangelism efforts?
We have the greatest authority of all to do what God is calling us to do. Our Lord Jesus Christ. There is not greater authority. Successful Evangelism is met when we are obedient to the mandate of the Great Commission and NOT necessarily when someone receives Christ. It's when we step out to we share our faith obedience is demonstrated.
1 Cor 3:7-9 "So then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who causes the growth. 8Now he who plants and he who waters are one; but each will receive his own reward according to his own labor. 9For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, God’s building"
It takes an average of 7.6 times for someone to hear the gospel before they will receive it. ~ William Fay
There is NO FAILURE In sharing your faith. One plants and one waters but only GOD will make it grow.
In sharing your faith, you are also Telling Your Story and noone can do that better than you.
II. What Evangelism is NOT
· Evangelism is not promoting your church.
· Not a spiritual gift (Matt 28)
· Based on your personality
· Not a contest
· Not deep
Every Great endeavor in God requires prayer and consecration
When I enter into prayer for the lost, I am asking God to open my eyes and my heart to the miraculous.
Matt 7:7-8 Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the doo will be opened
Eph 3:17-19 And I pray that you being rooted and grounded in love may have power together with all the saints to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ and to know this love that surpasses knowledge – that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
Let our heart break for the things that break your heart. People are in darkness.
· Boldness: Understand Evangelism is done through the bold power of the Holy Spirit
Acts 4:29 Now Lord, consider their threats and enable your servants to speak your word with great boldness.
Phil 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me
· Others will See Christ in you
o Spiritual Magnets
ASK: What prevents you from Evangelizing (collect answers on dry erase board)
Majority of Christians never share their faith with non-believers. Some of the major reasons are below. It's important to briefly talk about them so you can understand and be encouraged that the way you are feeling is not uncommon.
1. Fear of Failure one of the major barriers to evangelism
a. There is no failure in Evangelism only disobedience
John 6:44 No one can come to me unless the father who sent me draws him
b. It is God who does the drawing – not us.
2. Fear of being rejected
a. People don't put their faith in Christ because we force them to believe. They put their faith in Christ because God uses us to point out the truth. If we've won somebody to Christ, they're probably not saved.
3. Afraid of what friends will think
a. In our silence, we can love our friends to hell
b. Understand, you may be persecuted but so was Jesus. It will come at a cost.
4. Fear to share with co-workers because of lifestyle/reputation
5. Don’t know enough
6. Afraid of losing friends
7. I don’t know how
Warm, Attractive and Inviting Manner; mature expression of virtue warmth and personal depth
· We don’t say anything (Sin of Silence) - don’t want to offend
· We don’t care about offending and we offend everyone
1 Pet 3:15 But Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always be ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.
2 Tim 2:24-25 and the Lord’s bondservant must not be quarrelsome, but kind to all able to teach, patient when wronged, with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading them to the knowledge of truth.
1. Evangelism is just conversation.
2. The key is to be thinking evangelism, to be praying for the opportunity, and to step through the door when it is opened.
3. You must be intentional about looking for opportunities.
· Conversation Joggers
DOOR OPENER: Do you have any spiritual beliefs or do you go to church anywhere.
o Whats you fav sport (asking a man) follow up with “its amazing how much money they make.” Lead with “I wonder how much money it would take to have a perfect life.” Then ask, “Do you have any spiritual beliefs?”
o You might ask a woman, "What do you think the hardest thing today about being a woman?"
o Businessmen: "I hardly have any white space on my calendar any more." How do you manage.
o Who do you work for? Do you enjoy your job? Do you have any spiritual beliefs
· Share Jesus 5 Questions (Response is Hmmmmmmm Principle)
1. Do you have any spiritual beliefs
2. To you, who is Jesus Christ
3. Do you think there’s a Heaven or hell?
4. If you were to die today, do you know where you would go
5. If what you’re believing is not true, would you want to know
No matter what the responder says, Don't answer or questions their response. Just say hmmmmm and go on to the next question. Questions are effective because most people have an opinion on almost every subject and they love to share them. Questions work because they put you in the driver's seat without putting your friend on the defensive. 2 purposes:
· It's difficult to argue with someone who is just acknowledging they heard what you said but not judging the statement.
· You are attentively listening which lets them know you care. The holy spirit will allow you to hear the things that are not being said (lonely, frustrated, searching)
Possible Resource: Use the NIV Pocket Bible
You can’t fail when you are obedient and share your faith. The questions you have learned how to ask and the answers will help determine if God is at work in the life of the person. When you as the final question “if what you are believing is not true, would you want to know” will probably open the door for you to go to the next step; to share the power of God’s Word. Share Scriptures. Have the person read it out loud. If they don’t understand it, have them read it again. When they read it, ask them “What does it say to you”
- · Rom 3:23 All have sinned…
- · Rom 6:23 Wages of sin is death…
- · 3 John 3:3 Must be born again…
- · John 14:6 I’m the Way…
- · Rom 10:9-11 If you confess with your mouth…
- · 2Cor 5:15 No longer live for themselves but for him…
- · Rev 3:20 Here I am standing at your door
- · Are you a sinner
- · Do you want forgiveness from your sins
- · Do you believe Jesus died on the cross for you and rose again
- · Are you willing to surrender your life to Jesus Christ
- · Are you ready to invite Jesus into your heart
- · Shhhhhhhh (Be Quiet Please – let the Holy Spirit do what only the Spirit can do)
- · Remember: 1Cor 12:3 “Noone can say Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.”
VIII. SHARE YOUR STORY
There’s nothing more powerful than sharing your story.