On My Way to the Other Side Summary
Main Text: Luke 8:22 22 One day Jesus said to his disciples, “Let us go over to the other side of the lake.” So they got into a boat and set out.
Definition: Other side is defined as successfully accomplishing any problem you may have: financial; family; physical; emotional, etc.
1: Set Sail. It’s time to leave from where you are. Vs 22(b) “Let us go over to the other side of the lake.” so they get into a boat and set out.
2. Stay Focused. You will encounter danger and opposition along the way Vs 23(b) squall came down on the lake, so that the boat was being swamped a squall came down…
3. Set your eyes on the prize. Keep your eyes on the other side vs 23 As they sailed, he fell asleep. A squall came down on the lake, so that the boat was being swamped, and they were in great danger.
4. Have Faith. Step up your faith. Jesus is on board vs 24 The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Master, Master, we’re going to drown!” The disciples went and woke him up.
5. This is scheduled, not a suggestion. Going to the other side was Jesus idea vs 22 One day Jesus said to his disciples, “Let us go over to the other side of the lake.” One day Jesus said to the disciples “Lets Go”
6. When faced with trial, test, tribulation, etc. God is a very present help in the time of trouble. Psalms 46:1 - God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
7. When you are in the battle of your life, God goes with you to fight for you and give you the victory. Deut. 20:4 - For the LORD your God is the one who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory."
8. When you have to make a critical decision. James 1:5 - 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.
9. When you are feeling anxious. Philippians 4:6-7, 19 - 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 19 And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.
10. When you are overwhelmed with doubt. He who is faithful keeps his promises. Hebrews 10:23 NLT - Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promise.
Five Lessons Learned from a Leper
2 Kings 7:4 KJV- 4If we say, We will enter into the city, then the famine is in the city, and we shall die there: and if we sit still here, we die also. Now therefore come, and let us fall unto the host of the Syrians: if they save us alive, we shall live; and if they kill us, we shall but die.
11. Don’t Just Sit There - vs 4 4 If we sit here…
12: Don’t Just Die There – vs 4 we shall die
13: Speak Up- vs 3 we will go into…
14: Get Up - vs 5 they rose up
15: Line Up - vs7 7 Wherefore they arose and fled in the twilight, and left their tents,
Two Steps Forward and One Step Backwards
Vs. 10b - “I will surely multiply your offspring so that they cannot be numbered for multitude.”
vs 9(b) Go back to your mistress and submit to her.”
16: Realize you can’t run away from your problems - vs 8 8 And he said, “Hagar, slave of Sarai, where have you come from, and where are you going?”.
17: Return and Repair – vs. 9 9 Then the angel of the Lord told her, “Go back to your mistress and submit to her.”
18: Receive what God has for you - vs 10 10 The angel added, “I will increase your descendants so much that they will be too numerous to count.”
Gen 21:14,17,18 14 Early the next morning Abraham took some food and a skin of water and gave them to Hagar. He set them on her shoulders and then sent her off with the boy. She went on her way and wandered in the Desert of Beersheba. 17 God heard the boy crying, and the angel of God called to Hagar from heaven and said to her, “What is the matter, Hagar? Do not be afraid; God has heard the boy crying as he lies there. 18 Lift the boy up and take him by the hand, for I will make him into a great nation.”Conclusion: