Sunday, April 8, 2018

FamilyIsh - Family Appetite



Pericope: Gen 27:1-10
Sermon Text: Gen. 27:10 - And you shall bring it to your father to eat, so that he may bless you before he dies.”
Sermon title Family-ish – Pt 2 Family Appetite
Introduction:  In our text we see how the appetites of a family can drive the success or failure of a family.  The biblical writer wants us to know the central theme of the text is food and appetite.  That’s why it is mentioned so often.  The whole event in the text is centered around food and appetite. It opens up with the father being hungry and wanting something to eat.  Now it’s all about satisfying his hunger.  The context of his hunger is he is in his old age.  He tells his son what he wants to eat and his wife overhears the conversation. Actually she is eavesdropping on their conversation.  Now she wants to feed him something he doesn't want. I know you are focused in on the fact that Isaac is about to bless Esau the eldest son, but this isn't just about food and blessings but appetites. Let me explain. There are four appetites in this family. 
Point 1: Isaac’s Appetite – Physical appetite – not future oriented appetite.  vs. 3-4 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me, 4 and prepare for me delicious food, such as I love, and bring it to me so that I may eat, that my soul may bless you before I die.”
Point 2: Rebekah’s appetite – Rebekah has a controlling appetite - vs. 5, 8-10 - 5 Now Rebekah was listening when Isaac spoke to his son Esau…8 Now therefore, my [Jacob] son, obey my voice as I command you. 9 Go to the flock and bring me two good young goats, so that I may prepare from them delicious food for your father, such as he loves. 10 And you shall bring it to your father to eat, so that he may bless you before he dies.”
Point 3: Jacob’s appetite – Jacob’s appetite is getting thing the easy way - vs. 16, 21-25 - 16 She also covered his hands and the smooth part of his neck with the goatskins 21 Then Isaac said to Jacob, “Come near so I can touch you, my son, to know whether you really are my son Esau or not.” 22 Jacob went close to his father Isaac, who touched him and said, “The voice is the voice of Jacob, but the hands are the hands of Esau.” 23 He did not recognize him, for his hands were hairy like those of his brother Esau; so he proceeded to bless him. 24 “Are you really my son Esau?” he asked.
“I am,” he replied.
25 Then he said, “My son, bring me some of your game to eat, so that I may give you my blessing.”
Point 4: Esau’s appetite – Esau’s appetite is carefree – happy go lucky - vs. 36, 41 - 36 Esau said, “Is he not rightly named Jacob? For he has cheated me these two times. He took away my birthright, and behold, now he has taken away my blessing.” Then he said, “Have you not reserved a blessing for me?” 41 Now Esau hated Jacob because of the blessing with which his father had blessed him, and Esau said to himself, “The days of mourning for my father are approaching; then I will kill my brother Jacob.”
Conclusion:  Here’s the point of this sermon. What appetites are you nurturing in yourself and your children? Rebecca wanted fame and success for Jacob at the expense of his brother. Are you nurturing fame and success or soul saving and God serving within your children? If you feed them every activity under the sun other than giving their life to Christ and godly activities, then you are not putting them on a course of success. They need Jesus more now than ever. What good is fame without a foundation in Jesus? If you do not nurture a spiritual appetite don't be surprised when they have no compass when they leave your house. Church attendance and youth groups should never be an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts! Come again soon!

Virtual Family Sunday Questions

What ways can we create community as a family? How has our viewership/church attendance enhanced or diminished our family covenant? What way...