Sunday, September 13, 2020

Cancelled Pt 2

 

Pericope: John 8: 31-41 - 31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

 

33 They answered him, “We are Abraham’s descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?”

 

34 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. 35 Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. 36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. 37 I know that you are Abraham’s descendants. Yet you are looking for a way to kill me, because you have no room for my word. 38 I am telling you what I have seen in the Father’s presence, and you are doing what you have heard from your father.[a]”

 

39 “Abraham is our father,” they answered.

 

“If you were Abraham’s children,” said Jesus, “then you would[b] do what Abraham did. 40 As it is, you are looking for a way to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. Abraham did not do such things. 41 You are doing the works of your own father.”

 

“We are not illegitimate children,” they protested. “The only Father we have is God himself.”

Sermon Text: John 8: 32 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

Sermon Title: Cancelled Pt 2 Your Truth – Really!?

Point 1: Truth has an origin. Hebrews 6: 13 13 When God made his promise to Abraham, since there was no one greater for him to swear by, he swore by himself,

       

Matthew 28:18 -. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.

 and power to you

Rom 13:1 - Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God

Point 2: Truth is delegated. Vs 42, 58 42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I have come here from God. I have not come on my own; God sent me. 58 “Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!”

a)  the way this works is we become carriers of the truth.  Matthew 18: 16 But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses; 2 Cor. 13:1 This will be my third visit to you. “Every matter must be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses

b)  Pastor, Priest, Preacher, Prophet are the ones in the front line of upholding truth

a.  The pastor provides pastoral care with truth

b.  The priests intercedes on behalf of the truth

c.   The preacher proclaims truth for salvation

d.  The prophet speaks truth to power. 

c)  (Gutenberg press 1450) Royal priesthood 1 Pet 2: 9 9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. But it doesn't stop there.

Point 3: Truth stabilizes and set order. Vs 44 44 …[the devil]. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

       

Vs 59 59 At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds. 

Romans 13: 2 CEV - 2 People who oppose the authorities are opposing what God has done, and they will be punished.

Point 4: You have an; experience, a story, but you don’t have your own truth. Vs 46 46 Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don’t you believe me?

        a) Moral relativism

        b) Tolerance Is the kissing cousin.

Point 5: Truth points people to God. Vs 45 45 Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me!

        a) Truth is Intolerant

        b) Absolute

 

Life Application:

1.  Accept Jesus as the truth and light

2.  Lean into the market place

3.  Return next week for the rest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts! Come again soon!

Virtual Family Sunday Questions

What ways can we create community as a family? How has our viewership/church attendance enhanced or diminished our family covenant? What way...