Sunday, August 9, 2020

Pain Management Part 1

Pericope: 2 Cor. 12:7-10 - 7 or because of these surpassingly great revelations. Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Sermon Text: 2 Cor. 12: 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

Sermon Title: Pain Management Pt 1 – Playing Hurt

Sermon Bumper: Ms Celi and Netti – the color purple

Introduction: Its natural to want to avoid pain. Who wants to be hurt? Who wants a broken heart, broken dreams, a broken leg or a broken spirit? In our text this morning Paul tells us about pain and pain avoidance.

Point 1:  The Process of Pain – James 1: 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.;

2 Cor. 6:4-10 - 4 Rather, as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: in great endurance; in troubles, hardships and distresses; 5 in beatings, imprisonments and riots; in hard work, sleepless nights and hunger; 6 in purity, understanding, patience and kindness; in the Holy Spirit and in sincere love; 7 in truthful speech and in the power of God; with weapons of righteousness in the right hand and in the left; 8 through glory and dishonor, bad report and good report; genuine, yet regarded as impostors; 9 known, yet regarded as unknown; dying, and yet we live on; beaten, and yet not killed; 10 sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; poor, yet making many rich; having nothing, and yet possessing everything.

Point 2: The Penalty or Promise of Pain – 1 Cor. 10:13 - 13 No temptation[a] has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted[b] beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted,[c] he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.;

Heb 12:6 - because the Lord disciplines the one he loves,

    and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.”[a]

·      Is this a deeper moment or defeated moment

·      Is this desperate moment or disciple moment

Point 3: The Perfecting of Pain – 2 Cor. 4:16-18 - 16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Life Application:

1.    Process your pain..

2.   Place your pain in Jesus hands…

3.   Feel your pain

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts! Come again soon!

Virtual Family Sunday Questions

What ways can we create community as a family? How has our viewership/church attendance enhanced or diminished our family covenant? What way...