Sunday, June 16, 2019

Men Matter


Pericope:  Ezekiel 22:23-31 - 23 And the word of the Lord came to me: 24 “Son of man, say to her, You are a land that is not cleansed or rained upon in the day of indignation. 25 The conspiracy of her prophets in her midst is like a roaring lion tearing the prey; they have devoured human lives; they have taken treasure and precious things; they have made many widows in her midst. 26 Her priests have done violence to my law and have profaned my holy things. They have made no distinction between the holy and the common, neither have they taught the difference between the unclean and the clean, and they have disregarded my Sabbaths, so that I am profaned among them. 27 Her princes in her midst are like wolves tearing the prey, shedding blood, destroying lives to get dishonest gain. 28 And her prophets have smeared whitewash for them, seeing false visions and divining lies for them, saying, ‘Thus says the Lord God,’ when the Lord has not spoken. 29 The people of the land have practiced extortion and committed robbery. They have oppressed the poor and needy, and have extorted from the sojourner without justice. 30 And I sought for a man among them who should build up the wall and stand in the breach before me for the land, that I should not destroy it, but I found none. 31 Therefore I have poured out my indignation upon them. I have consumed them with the fire of my wrath. I have returned their way upon their heads, declares the Lord God.”
Sermon Text: Ezekiel 22: 30 And I sought for a man among them who should build up the wall and stand in the breach before me for the land, that I should not destroy it, but I found none.
Sermon Title: “Men Matter!”
The princes failed.  22: 25 The conspiracy of her princes in her midst is like a roaring lion tearing the prey; they have devoured human lives; they have taken treasure and precious things; they have made many widows in her midst.
The priest failed 22: 26 Her priests have done violence to my law and have profaned my holy things. They have made no distinction between the holy and the common, neither have they taught the difference between the unclean and the clean, and they have disregarded my Sabbaths, so that I am profaned among them.
The government officials failed 22: 27 Her princes in her midst are like wolves tearing the prey, shedding blood, destroying lives to get dishonest gain
The prophets failed 22: 28 And her prophets have smeared whitewash for them, seeing false visions and divining lies for them, saying, ‘Thus says the Lord God,’ when the Lord has not spoken.
And the people failed 22: 29 The people of the land have practiced extortion and committed robbery. They have oppressed the poor and needy, and have extorted from the sojourner without justice.
Point 1:  Men matter because they carry the seed. Vs. 30 And I sought for a man
Psalms 127: 3-5 Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. (4) Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. (5) Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their opponents in court.
Point 2:  Men matter because they establish God’s order.  Vs. 30 And I sought for a man among them
Genesis 1:27 - So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.
Genesis 2:22 - And the rib that the LORD God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man.
1 Cor 11:7 For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God, but woman is the glory of man.
Point 3:  Men matter because they fix things Vs 30 I sought a man… Who should build up the wall…
Point 4:  Men have made mistakes.  Vs 31 The Message I couldn’t find anyone. Not one. So I’ll empty out my wrath on them, burn them to a crisp with my hot anger, serve them with the consequences of all they’ve done.
Conclusion: In every way he was tempted like you and I.  Hebrews 4:15 15For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are-yet he did not sin.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts! Come again soon!

Virtual Family Sunday Questions

What ways can we create community as a family? How has our viewership/church attendance enhanced or diminished our family covenant? What way...