Sunday, February 1, 2015

CHOSEN FRUIT

Pericope: John 15: 1 - 8, 16
Sermon Text: John 15: 16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit--fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.
Sermon Title: Chosen Fruit
Point I: No Fruit – Leads to Judgment vss. 1,2, 6 (1) I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener (2a) He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit… (6) If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned
        Can you be in Jesus but bear no fruit? Is that possible?
Point 2: Some Fruit – Leads to Pruning vss. 2b, 3 while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. (3) You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you.
        Fruitfulness is a requirement so when we start the gardener wants us to bear more fruit. Fruit is good for food, for drink, for seed that reproduces after its kind. Fruit is an indicator of health. Jesus says in order for more fruit to come he prunes us.
Jesus was always looking for fruit (Mat 21:19, the cursed fig tree; Luke 13:6, parable of the fig tree).
Point 3: Much Fruit – Is the Goal vss. (4) Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No Branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. (5) I am the vine you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nether  (7) If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. (8) This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be disciples.
        This is more than just a physical connection it is a deep abiding that causes a flow of life giving sap from the vine to the branch. 
Point 4: Lasting Fruit – Is the Quality v 16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit--fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.

        Lasting fruit is eternal: Speaks of the souls of men won for all eternity. This is our appointment our commission to go and bear fruit, make disciples.
Conclusion: Where are you today in your fruitfulness. If you are fruitless it is time to change, to repent. If you are being pruned rejoice with the gardener that He wants you to be more fruitful. If you are bearing fruit, know that the Lord is pleased and that your fruit will last for eternity.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts! Come again soon!

Virtual Family Sunday Questions

What ways can we create community as a family? How has our viewership/church attendance enhanced or diminished our family covenant? What way...