Sunday, January 31, 2021

Money Matter

 

Pericope: Luke 12: 16- 16 And he told them this parable: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded an abundant harvest. 17 He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’ 18 “Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain. 19 And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.”’ 20 “But God said to him,You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’ 21 “This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for themselves but is not rich toward God.”

Sermon Text: Luke 12: 17 17 He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’

Sermon Title: Money Manners

Choice 1: Vs 18 18 “Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain.

Choice 2: Vs 19 19 And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.”’

The point of the parable is found in verses 13 – 15 13Someone in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.” 14Jesus replied, “Man, who appointed me a judge or an arbiter between you?” 15Then he said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.”

Consequences: Vs 20 20 “But God said to him,You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’

        Had the man understood the manner of money he would’ve knew what to do with what he had. He could have done at least three things. 

1.   Vs 33, 33 Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.

2.  Prov 11: 24-25 One person gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty. 25 A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.

3.  Prov 19: 17 17 Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will reward them for what they have done

 

Outcome: 21 “This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for themselves but is not rich toward God.”

2 Cor 9: 6-7 - 6 Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. 7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

Life Application: What will you do with what you have?

1.  Search your heart and make God’s work a priority – 2 Chr 31:10b - Since the people began to bring their contributions to the temple of the Lord, we have had enough to eat and plenty to spare, because the Lord has blessed his people, and this great amount is left over.”

2.  Understand and apply the manners/ways of money – it’s cyclical

3.  Give your heart and first fruit

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts! Come again soon!

Virtual Family Sunday Questions

What ways can we create community as a family? How has our viewership/church attendance enhanced or diminished our family covenant? What way...