Saturday, December 28, 2019

Passion 365 One Thing

Pericope: Phil 3:12-14
Sermon Text: Phil 3:13…but this one thing I do…
Sermon Title: Passion 365: One Thing
Point 1: What wasn’t finished will be!  Philippians 1:6 NLT And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.
Point 2:  Paul refused to read his press clippingsVs 13a - Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet;
Paul dis-avowed both his accomplishments and his mistakes in verse 3-7 - 3for we are the true circumcision, who worship in the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh, 4although I myself might have confidence even in the flesh. If anyone else has a mind to put confidence in the flesh, I far more: 5circumcised the eighth day, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee; 6as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blameless. 7But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ.  
Point 3: Paul stretched but he didn’t his stress Vs13 B - but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead
The one thing Paul did is the one thing we will do.  We will do like Paul – stretch ourselves.  Stretch our faith.  Stretch our comfort zones.  Stretch our hopes and dreams. Paul put it this way in vs. 14 - I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
1.    Be tenacious – 2 Cor. 11:23-29 NLT - 23 Are they servants of Christ?  …I have served him far more! I have worked harder, been put in prison more often, been whipped times without number, and faced death again and again. 24 Five different times the Jewish leaders gave me thirty-nine lashes. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stonedThree times I was shipwrecked. Once I spent a whole night and a day adrift at sea. 26 I have traveled on many long journeys. I have faced danger from rivers and from robbers. I have faced danger from my own people, the Jews, as well as from the Gentiles. I have faced danger in the cities, in the deserts, and on the seas. And I have faced danger from men who claim to be believers but are not. 27 I have worked hard and long, enduring many sleepless nights. I have been hungry and thirsty and have often gone without food. I have shivered in the cold, without enough clothing to keep me warm.  28 Then, besides all this, I have the daily burden of my concern for all the churches
2.   Don’t let anyone temper your vision – 2 Cor. 12:1 - This boasting will do no good, but I must go on. I will reluctantly tell about visions and revelations from the Lord.
3.   Be a holy terror to the enemy – Eph 6:11, 13 - 11 Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. 13 Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm.
Life Application
1.   Forget the past – look forward to the future – 20/20 vision for living. If you don’t let the past die it won’t let you live.
2.   Register for Lifegroups to prepare for a successful 2020

3.   Don’t stop being passionate for Christ the game ain’t over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts! Come again soon!

Virtual Family Sunday Questions

What ways can we create community as a family? How has our viewership/church attendance enhanced or diminished our family covenant? What way...