Sunday, October 21, 2018

Bruised Not Broken

Page | 3

Pericope: 2 Corinthians 11:24 – 29
Sermon Text: 2 Corinthians 11:24, 25 24 Five times I received at the hands of the Jews the forty lashes less one. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I was adrift at sea;
Sermon TitleGREATER: Pt 3: Breaking Point (Bruised But Not Broken)
BP: Move the hearers to trust God.
Introduction: Last Sunday I introduced you to a scrawny scared little boy who had been picked on like Amos. As we looked through the prism of my life and at Amos the fruit picking prophet, we discovered a fruit that only ripens when bruised. In other words, how did I end up being a fearless Bishop in the Lord's church after starting out like I did? Bruised by life itself. That fact makes me ask the question why does God bruise us before he uses us? Why does God permit life to be so hard sometimes? Why do we have to be the fruit he has to bruise so we can ripen? Why can't we be like other fruit that can just linger in the warm sun rays and ripen. Amos picked Sycamore figs and so does God. Remember the sycamore-figs Amos picked had to be bruised before the would ripen. How many of you feel like a sycamore fig? When I raise this question, I can't help but think about Paul in and see how God did some dastardly things to him. The text is just a snippet of Paul’s bruised and difficult life. I want us to investigate his whole life. When we do we will get some answers as to why God permit life to bruise us so he can use us.
Transition: Look at the first thing God did…
Move 1:  God blinded PaulActs 9:8- 8 Saul rose from the ground, and although his eyes were opened, he saw nothing. So they led him by the hand and brought him into Damascus. 9 And for three days he was without sight, and neither ate nor drank.
God knew from the beginning of time Paul was going to write two thirds of the New Testament. God knew before the beginning of time Paul would formulate Christian theology from Christ's life. God knew before the beginning of time Paul would provide leadership for the early church. God knew before the beginning of time Paul would be used to bring organization and order to the early church. God knew before the beginning of time he would use Paul to plant churches all over Europe and Asia minor. But just because God knew Paul’s end from the beginning and his destiny, God still had to blind him to get him there. God had to take Paul through some things to get him to the place he could use him. So, first God blinded him and made him follow before he could lead. 
Vs. 8 8 Saul rose from the ground, and although his eyes were opened, he saw nothing. So they led him by the hand and brought him into Damascus.
Paul had to be brought to a place of total submission and humility. For Paul it was blindness. What will it be for you and I?
Humility is key to being used by God. My mother use to tell me, “son stay low and humble, so the Lord can use you. Humility isn’t a fake pious look on your face, its your spirit being controlled by God. Example wild horse…meek inherit the earth…
What kind of situation does God have to bring you to before you are blind enough to seeRepeat. There are times when we are in the middle of the day riding our horse and life itself blinds us. Notice the light only blinded Paul and not the men with him. There are some things in life that God will permit that will only affect you and no one else. The way out is stop trying to see with your eyes and start looking through theblinded eyes of God. Humble yourself before the Lord and he will exalt you…
Transition:  After God temporarily blinded Paul he still wasn't finished making Paul sohe pressurized him.
Move 2: God put Paul under constant pressure2 Corinthians 12:7-87 So to keep me from becoming conceitedbecause of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass meto keep me from becoming conceited. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me.
What kind of God elevates you to see what nobody has ever seen or heard then put you under the pressure of constant attacks to keep you humble? God why did you elevate me if you were only going to put a thorn in my flesh to keep me in check? Why did you let me see so much then not permit me to tell what I saw? God do you not trust me. You trusted me to see it but not tell what I saw. God wouldn't it have been better to never let me experience the third heaven if you couldn't trust me with the revelation.
God wouldn't it have been better had I never had a husband if we were going to get a divorce. God wouldn't it have been better had I not gotten the promotion if it was going to be so stressful. God wouldn't it have been better if I never had a child if they were going to be so disobedient. So many times, we think pressure will be turned off at some point but not so. The human spirit does not have gadgets or instruments that say that's enough. Picture of PSI RPM EXPLAIN
There is no such monitor we can put on our face or head that says that's enough. God himself monitors your pressure valve. God is making steel out of your state of being. When steel is made it is put under a tremendous amount of pressure. The dross on the substance that's part of steel but is weaker than the steel must be separated in order for the steel to be strengthened.
Picture or video of steel being made not until the dross is separated can the steel get its strength. Constant pressure is the only way. God elevates you but keeps you under constant pressure so you can be strong enough to deal with the new level.Some of you are looking for relief just know that God is looking at the pressure release valve. 2 Corinthians 12:9, 10 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
TransitionGod blinded Paul. God put Paul under constant pressure, but God wasn't finished
Move 3: God bruised Paul2 Corinthians 11:24-25 24 Five times I received at the hands of the Jews the forty lashes less one. 25 Three times I was beaten with rodsOnce I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I was adrift at sea;
I am thoroughly bothered with how Godpermitted Paul to be treated. What's the point God that you let all of this happened to Paul. Surely, he has endured enough. Can somebody shout enough already. Look at your neighbor and say I would have quit. At some point you have to understand how God operates. If He bruised his own son there must then we must know we too will be bruised. 
I can't think of one biblical character God didn't bruise. I can't think of one biblical character God didn't rough up a little bit but most of them came out bruised but not broken. Abraham…Isaac…Jacob…Moses…DavidSolomon…The Judges…The Prophets…Jesus…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts! Come again soon!

Virtual Family Sunday Questions

What ways can we create community as a family? How has our viewership/church attendance enhanced or diminished our family covenant? What way...