Sunday, May 21, 2017

2Die4!

Sermon Text: John 21 17 The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”

Sermon Title: 2Die4!

Point 1: The level of love vs 15…do you truly love me… vs 16…do you truly love me… vs 17 …do you truly love me…Do you love me
The word love as it is used here is the two verbs agapan and philein “are used interchangeably in this Gospel” and that from the fourth century B.C. forward in Greek literature agapan became “one of the standard verbs for ‘to love.’ Eros, which many interject in the text is what we think Jesus intermingle in the text. The word eros—erotic is not found in the New Testament.  

Point 2: The evidence of love vs. 15…” Feed my lambs… vs. 16…” Take care of my sheep.” vs. 17…” Feed my sheep.
1. Vs. 15 Feed my lambs [children]   
2. Vs. 16 Take care of my sheep [pasture the flock Isa 40: 11 he will gather his sheep in his arms and bosom] 
3. Vs. 17 Feed my sheep [adults]

Point 3: The life of love vs. 19 …Then he said “Follow me!”
1. Keep your eyes on Jesus vs 20
2. Keep our eyes off what Jesus is doing for others vs 21
3. Keep your eyes on Jesus until the end vs 20

LifeChangers what are you doing to save the lost? Would you die for the lost? Would you die for Jesus. That’s what he is asking us to do. That’s what he asked Peter three times and Peter finally goit right. This wall is in part our opportunity to get it right!

Jesus is to 2DIE4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts! Come again soon!

Virtual Family Sunday Questions

What ways can we create community as a family? How has our viewership/church attendance enhanced or diminished our family covenant? What way...