Saturday, November 26, 2011

SERMON OUTLINE: THANKSGIVING ON AN EMPTY STOMACH!

Pericope: Habakkuk 3: 17 – 19
Sermon Text: Habakkuk 3: 18 yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior.
Sermon Title: Thanksgiving on an Empty Stomach!

Introduction/Context: “The average person ate 4500 calories T In our text it is not the Sunday after Thanksgiving, but it is days before the Babylonians are about to take over Jerusalem and turn her full stomach into an empty situation. Due to the sin in Israel’s lifestyle God has permitted the Babylonians to take over.

Point 1: God gives me Strength to make it. Vs. 19 The Sovereign Lord is my strength; The first thing Habakkuk said was God was going to give him strength to make it.
Isa 41: 10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Even when you are in your most weaken state God will replace your weakness for his strength. 2 Cor 12: 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”

Point 2: God makes my steps Steady on rocky ground. Vs. 19 he makes my feet like the feet of a deer The next thing Habakkuk said God would do is make his feet like deer.

Point 3: This is not my last Stop. Vs. 19 he enables me to go on the heights Habakkuk had just been given a vision from God of a future world that was coming. Notice Habakkuk raises life question in 1: 2 How long Lord must I call for help… and in 2: 2 God answers write down the vision and make it plain…

When you are on a quest three things happen:
(a) you put demands on God,
(b) you deepen your commitment
(c) you drive to a new level of living with/for Him.

Conclusion: Look at how Habakkuk ended his quest! vs. 18 yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior Frank Boreham, in one of his books, tells of a conversation he once had with a somewhat naive and Pollyannish woman named Jeannie. He said to her, “Jeannie, supposing. . . .”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts! Come again soon!

Virtual Family Sunday Questions

What ways can we create community as a family? How has our viewership/church attendance enhanced or diminished our family covenant? What way...