Sunday, April 10, 2011

Withered ~ Worn Out ~ Waiting on JESUS!! Pt 2

Sermon Notes
Wednesday April 6, 2011

Sermon: Withered, Worn, and Waiting (Part II)
Sermon Text: Luke 6: 6-11
vs. 10 And after looking around at them all he said to him, "Stretch out your hand." And he did so, and his hand was restored. Mark 3:5 He looked around at them in anger and, deeply distressed at their stubborn hearts, said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” He stretched it out, and his hand was completely restored.
The Pharisees were trying to uphold their faith tradition of the Sabbath in order to usher in the Messiah’s coming. They were used to the tradition that there would be no healing on the Sabbath. Jesus was confronting the Pharisees about what was lawful versus expedient. The man who came to the synagogue had a withered hand, was worn out by life, and was waiting to be healed.

Point 1: Withered House- Tradition versus Treatment (Matt 12:9-10-NIV) - Matthew 12:9-10 - 9 Going on from that place, he went into their synagogue, 10 and a man with a shriveled hand was there. Looking for a reason to bring charges against Jesus, they asked him, “Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?”
The Pharisees were going to maintain their tradition at all costs- even if it meant murdering Jesus. They preferred tradition over treatment. In we take a moment to reflect, we can see the same thing happening today. Jesus wants to show up but we kill Him with tradition.
Rev. 1:10- On the Lord’s Day I was in the Spirit, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet,
We have a choice when we come to church, we can choose to be in the spirit or to remain in tradition. When we choose to be in the spirit, revelation will come. We should come to church hungry for a worship experience. In order to get that experience, we must connect with God. Often times, we don’t pray before we come and we are distracted by other things. We can’t come to God just any type of way and expect to receive a revelation.
Psalm 16:11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fullness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
Every encounter we have with God will cause a change in us- this encounter is usually not in tradition. This is why we must be focused on treatment and not tradition.
Exodus 33:12-23 - 13 If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you. Remember that this nation is your people.” 14 The LORD replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.” 15 Then Moses said to him, “If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here. 16 How will anyone know that you are pleased with me and with your people unless you go with us? What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?” 17 And the LORD said to Moses, “I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I know you by name.” 18 Then Moses said, “Now show me your glory.” 19 And the LORD said, “I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the LORD, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 20 But,” he said, “you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live.” 21 Then the LORD said, “There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock. 22 When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. 23 Then I will remove my hand and you will see my back; but my face must not be seen.”
Moses said he would not go without the presence of God- he wasn’t concerned with materialistic things. We should come to get a treatment from God and to get into His presence; only then can we get what we need from Him. When Jesus shows up, tradition goes away. We should be so fired up in God that we don’t even notice the frivolous things. Remember that receiving treatment means to be dealt with. Sometimes, we don’t want to come into God’s presence because we don’t want God to deal with us.

Point 2: Withered Man- Position versus Purpose (Luke 6: 8 But Jesus knew what they were thinking and said to the man with the shriveled hand, “Get up and stand in front of everyone.” So he got up and stood there.
Jesus had to position the man for purpose. People should be able to look at your position and determine your purpose. God will move us into position and even when we don’t understand, He does. He knows what the enemy is thinking. We don’t have to worry about what others are thinking because God knows. The enemy can plan their attack move, however, because God knows our thoughts it will not matter. God will simply move us in order to keep us. The only way to get into the right position is to be obedient. Be quiet and let God work- let Him position you.


Point 3: Withered Hand- Restoration versus Rancor vs. 10 And after looking around at them all he said to him, "Stretch out your hand." And he did so, and his hand was restored. Mark 3:5 He looked around at them in anger and, deeply distressed at their stubborn hearts, said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” He stretched it out, and his hand was completely restored.
The more restoration involved, the more rancor will come from others. The Pharisees should have been rejoicing because of the healing but instead they got angry. When you are restored don’t expect people to rejoice with you. Some people will get angry. Romans 12:15 Rejoice with those who rejoice
However, you don’t have to get angry or frustrated; Jesus is angry and upset for you. Jesus has your back and will handle your haters. Don’t ever worry.
Mark 3:5 - He looked around at them in anger and, deeply distressed at their stubborn hearts, said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” He stretched it out, and his hand was completely restored.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts! Come again soon!

Virtual Family Sunday Questions

What ways can we create community as a family? How has our viewership/church attendance enhanced or diminished our family covenant? What way...