Sunday, June 6, 2021

Stuck in the Middle

 

Sermon Text:  Lamentations 3:22-23 - 22 Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,

    for his compassions never fail.

23 They are new every morning;

    great is your faithfulness.

Sermon Title:  Stuck in the Middle

Point 1: How did I get in the middle of this? 1: 1 How…

How she sits alone, the city once crowded with people! (Lam. 1:1).

How the Lord has overshadowed Daughter Zion with his anger! (Lam. 2:1).

Jerusalem is portrayed as a lonely widow and as a princess who is now a slave (1:1).

The city weeps with “tears on her cheeks,” being abandoned by her former lovers and opposed by friends (1:2).

The once-glorious nation is now scattered “among the nations” with no resting place (1:3).

The people of God are facing the judgment of God because of their sin – “Jerusalem sinned grievously” (Lam. 1:8).

Point 2: How do I get out of the middle of this? Vs 22- 23

The first part of Lamentations 3 (verses 1-20) is dark and hopeless, but the second part (verses 21-66) reflects an emerging level of trust.

Look at the contrast:

Lamentations 3:18: Then I thought, “My future is lost, as well as my hope from the Lord.”

Lamentations 3:58: You championed my cause, Lord; you redeemed my life.

The key to the change and contrast is found in verses 21-24: 21 Yet I call this to mind, and therefore I have hope: 22 Because of the Lord’s faithful love we do not perish, for his mercies never end. 23 They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness! 24 I say, “The Lord is my portion; therefore, I will put my hope in him” (Lam. 3:21-24).

And yet, as Jeremiah laments this destruction, he still says, “The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases.”

Point 3: How do I stay out of the middle going forward? As we turn to chapter 4 of Lamentations, we notice that Jeremiah contrasts the before and after experience of God’s people.

Conclusion:

The book of Lamentations ends with a hopeful prayer: 21 Lord, bring us back to yourself, so we may return; renew our days as in former times, 22 unless you have completely rejected us and are intensely angry with us (Lam. 5:21-22).

The ESV translates verse 21: Restore us to yourself, O Lord, that we may be restored! Renew our days as of old.

Life Application: So, let’s review what we have learned today.

First, sin can get us stuck in the middle… and God’s new mercies gets us out

Second, we learn that we have often created idols in our lives that we are valuing and depending on more than God…

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts! Come again soon!

Virtual Family Sunday Questions

What ways can we create community as a family? How has our viewership/church attendance enhanced or diminished our family covenant? What way...