Sunday, October 13, 2019
Sermon Text: John 19: 40 Taking Jesus’ body, the two of them wrapped it, with the spices, in strips of linen. This was in accordance with Jewish burial customs.
Sermon Title: What Do You Do When Your Faith Is In A Dead Place
verse 31 Now it was the day of Preparation, and the next day was to be a special Sabbath. Because the Jewish leaders did not want the bodies left on the crosses during the Sabbath, they asked Pilate to have the legs broken and the bodies taken down.
Point 1: Don’t get in your feelings Verse 38 Now Joseph was a disciple of Jesus… He feared the Jews.
Point 2: Find a faith friend Verse 39 He was accompanied by Nicodemus…
Matthew 18: 20 For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”
Point 3: If you can’t speak faith keep silent. Verse 40 Taking Jesus’s body, the two of them wrapped it…
Proverbs 18: 21 The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.
James 2: 17In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. 18But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”
Point 4: Activate your faith overflow Verse 39… Nicodemus brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes about 75 pounds.
Romans 12: 3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.
Luke 17: 6 He replied, “If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it will obey you
Point 5: Put your faith on display Verse 42… They lay Jesus there [tomb]
Wednesday, October 9, 2019
Point 1: Difference – vs. 22 - 22 " 'But on that day I will deal differently with the land of Goshen, where my people live; no swarms of flies will be there, so that you will know that I, the LORD, am in this land.
The first thing that God told Israel. Galatians 6:9 say Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
Point 2: Distinction – vs. 23 I will make a distinction between my people and your people. This miraculous sign will occur tomorrow.' "
Point 3: Defend – Ex. 9:7, 26 7 Pharaoh sent men to investigate and found that not even one of the animals of the Israelites had died. Yet his heart was unyielding and he would not let the people go.... 26 The only place it did not hail was the land of Goshen, where the Israelites were.;
11:7- 7 But among the Israelites not a dog will bark at any man or animal.' Then you will know that the LORD makes a distinction between Egypt and Israel.
12:13- 13 The blood will be a sign for you on the houses where you are; and when I see the blood, I will pass over you. No destructive plague will touch you when I strike Egypt.
15:26 - 26 He said, "If you listen carefully to the voice of the LORD your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the LORD, who heals you."
. Psalm 61:3 - For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe.
Proverbs 18:10 - The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.
Point 4: Determined – Gen. 45:10, 11; 46:34; 47:4 10 You shall live in the region of Goshen and be near me—you, your children and grandchildren, your flocks and herds, and all you have. 11 I will provide for you there, because five years of famine are still to come. Otherwise you and your household and all who belong to you will become destitute.'
34 you should answer, 'Your servants have tended livestock from our boyhood on, just as our fathers did.' Then you will be allowed to settle in the region of Goshen, for all shepherds are detestable to the Egyptians."
4 They also said to him, "We have come to live here awhile, because the famine is severe in Canaan and your servants' flocks have no pasture. So now, please let your servants settle in Goshen."
Point 5: Dwell – vs. 22 – a...where my parents live...
Sunday, October 6, 2019
Pericope: 1 Cor 11:17-31
Sermon Text: 1 Cor. 11:33-34 - 33 So then, my brothers, when you come together to eat, wait for one another— 34 if anyone is hungry, let him eat at home—so that when you come together it will not be for judgment. About the other things I will give directions when I come
Sermon Title: Passionate about His Promises Pt 5 Communion Creates Community
Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.”
Point 1: Communion creates accountability. Vs. 21a - 21 For in eating, each one goes ahead with his own meal…
Hebrews 10:25 - 25 not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.
– Heb. 10:25 msg - So let’s do it—full of belief, confident that we’re presentable inside and out. Let’s keep a firm grip on the promises that keep us going. He always keeps his word. Let’s see how inventive we can be in encouraging love and helping out, not avoiding worshiping together as some do but spurring each other on, especially as we see the big Day
Joshua 7:1 - But the people of Israel broke faith in regard to the devoted things, for Achan the son of Carmi, son of Zabdi, son of Zerah, of the tribe of Judah, took some of the devoted things. And the anger of the Lord burned against the people of Israel.
Point 2: Communion creates a caring community. Vs. 33 - 33 So then, my brothers, when you come together to eat, wait for one another—
· Eph 4:2, 2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
· Eph 4:32; 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
· Eph 5:19, 21; 19 speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord,
· Eph 5:21 Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.
· Phil 2:5; 5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:
· Col 3:13, 16; 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
· 16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts.
· 1 thes 4: 9 Now about your love for one another we do not need to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love each other
· 1 thes 4:18; 18 Therefore encourage one another with these words.
· Heb 3:13; 13 But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness.
· james 4:11, Brothers and sisters, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against a brother or sister[a] or judges them speaks against the law and judges it. When you judge the law, you are not keeping it, but sitting in judgment on it.
· James 5:9 Don’t grumble against one another, brothers and sisters, or you will be judged. The Judge is standing at the door!
· James 5: 11 As you know, we count as blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job’s perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.
· 1 pet 1:22 22 Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart.[a],
· 1 pet 3:8 8 Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble.
· 1 peter 4:9 9 Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling.
· 1 john 1:7 - 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all[a] sin.
· 1 john 4:7 - 7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.
· 1 john 11-12 - 11 Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.
Point 3: Communion exposes divisions. Vs. 18 For, in the first place, when you come together as a church, I hear that there are divisions among you. And I believe it in part,
Ps. 133 - How good and pleasant it is
when God’s people live together in unity!
2 It is like precious oil poured on the head,
running down on the beard,
running down on Aaron’s beard,
down on the collar of his robe.
3 It is as if the dew of Hermon
were falling on Mount Zion.
For there the Lord bestows his blessing,
even life forevermore.
Gen. 11:6 - 6 The Lord said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them.
Point 4: Community creates a concentration of power. Acts 2:1-4 - When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place. 2 And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. 3 And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Wednesday, October 2, 2019
Sermon Text: Hebrews 10: 23 23 Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.
Sermon Title: Passionate about His Promises: Pt 5 Pick your Promise
BP: Move the hearers to passionately hold onto Gods Promises
Point 1. God’s word [Promises] is everlasting… Mathew 24:35
35Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. Isaiah 40:8 8The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God endures forever.”
Point 2. God’s word [Promises] is operational…Hebrews 4:12 12For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
Point 3. God’s word [Promises] is functional…Matthew 8:8 8The centurion replied, “Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed.
Point 4: God’s Promises raises your Profile. Numbers 22: 2-4 CEV When King Balak of Moab and his people heard how many Israelites there were and what they had done to the Amorites, he and the Moabites were terrified and panicked. 4 They said to the Midianite leaders, “That bunch of Israelites will wipe out everything in sight…
Point 5: God’s promises can be activated in the right place. Numbers 22: 5 5 sent messengers to summon Balaam son of Beor, who was at Pethor, near the Euphrates River, in his native land.
Point 6: God’s promises are permanent. Numbers 23: 19 NLT 20 God is not a man, so he does not lie. He is not human, so he does not change his mind. Has he ever spoken and failed to act? Has he ever promised and not carried it through? 20 Listen, I received a command to bless; God has blessed, and I cannot reverse it!
NLT Understand, therefore, that the Lord your God is indeed God. He is the faithful God who keeps his covenant for a thousand generations and lavishes his unfailing love on those who love him and obey his commands.
Point 7: God promises us his presence. Hebrews 13: 5 5 Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”
Point 8: God promised us his provision. Phil 4: 19 19 And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.
Point 9: God promised us purpose.Jeremiah 29:11 1 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Point 10: God promised us His power. Acts 1: 88 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
Point 11: God promised us his protection. Psalm 231 The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, 3 he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
Point 12: God promised us his peace. Phil 4: 6-7 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Point 13: God promised us he would pardonus. Romans 10:9 9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
Point 14: God promised us Prosperity. John 10:10 (NLT) 10The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life.
Point 15: God promised us Forgiveness. 1 John 1:9 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
Conclusion: Because God’s word is true and dependable we can be passionate about it…
Review: Cloud leading, Cloud lifting, Cloud filled. Time to come be in the cloud in the crowd Pericope: Exodus 40: 34-38 34 T...