Sunday, November 10, 2019

I Can't Get Enough


Pericope:  James 4:7-10 - 7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.
Sermon Text: James 4:8 - Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
NLT - 8 Come close to God, and God will come close to you. Wash your hands, you sinners; purify your hearts, for your loyalty is divided between God and the world.
Sermon Title:  I Can’t Get Enough!
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. Paul also put it this way…1Cor 13:9-12 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.  
Matthew says it this way 6: 33 Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.
Point 1:  Self Expression – vs. 7a…Submit yourselves…
Psalms 139:14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.
Point 2:  Self Discovery – vs. 7b…resist the devil
Point 3:  Examine yourself – vs. 8…wash your hands…purify your hearts [don’t be] doubleminded
Matthew 15:18 - But the things that come out of a person's mouth come from the heart, and these defile them.
Jesus said the Pharisees were like whitewashed graves.  Matthew 23:27 - "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean.
Point 4:  Center yourself – vs. 8 Come near to God…
Paul said 1 Cor. 10:31 - So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
Point 5: Humble yourself.  vs. 10…he will lift you up…
3 John 2 -  Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts! Come again soon!

Virtual Family Sunday Questions

What ways can we create community as a family? How has our viewership/church attendance enhanced or diminished our family covenant? What way...