Monday, June 27, 2011

Now What: God Is Up to Something! He’s Making My Dreams Come True

Sermon Notes
Wednesday, June 15 2011

Sermon: Now What: God Is Up to Something! He’s Making My Dreams Come True
Sermon Text: Genesis 45: 4-11; 50:20 (NKJV)

And Joseph said to his brothers, “Please come near to me.” So they came near. Then he said: “I am Joseph your brother, whom you sold into Egypt.” “But now, do not therefore be grieved or angry with yourselves because you sold me here; for God sent me before you to preserve life.” “For these two year the famine has been in the land, and there are still five years in which there will be neither plowing nor harvesting.” “And God sent me before you to preserve a posterity for you in the earth, and to save your lives by a great deliverance.” So now it was not you who sent me here, but God; and He has made me a father to Pharaoh, and lord of all his house, and a ruler throughout all the land of Egypt.” “Hurry and go up to my father, and say to him, “Thus says your son Joseph: “God has made me lord of all Egypt; come down to me, do not tarry.” “You shall dwell in the land of Goshen, and you shall be near to me, you and your children, your children’s children, your flocks and your herds, and all that you have.” “There I will provide for you, lest you and your household, and all that you have, come to poverty; for there are still five years of famine.”

Point 1: Your Dreams Will Come True (Gen 42: 6, 43: 26, 28; 44:14)
Joseph said that his brothers would bow down to him. It took a while but his dreams did come true.

Give your dream over to God and he will organize it in perfect timing. The best thing you can do is trust him in the midst of your situation. It’s your choice: you way or God’s way. The only thing that comes between you and your dreams coming true is time. Time separates you from the reality of your dreams. It’s not “if” the opportunity comes, but “when”.

Point 2: Name Your Delay (Gen: 41: 51, 52)
Joseph names his sons which show that he was branding his delay by name. This shows us that his plight was not far from his mind. From this we can see two things: Joseph was saying “I forgot who hurt me” and “I’m fruitful in my struggles.” This is what he names his delays.

God has the power to help you to forget the cause of the problem. A delay is the opportunity to become fruitful. Nothing grows without struggle. If you’re calling your delay a disaster you’re labeling it wrong. When you mislabel your situation, you cause God to stop. We’re always calling our situation “its over.” Be careful how you label your delay: if you’re going through a divorce, you can say “God is going to send me a new man/woman”…if you’re sick, you can say “God is in the process of healing me”….if you’re broke, you can say “my financial blessing is on the way.”

Point 3: God Is Putting the Details In Your Future (Gen: 45:7,8)
God was trying to get Joseph in a position to save thousands of people.

You will never be able to figure out all the details but just let him handle it and know that he’s up to something. Your dreams must be connected to God’s agenda. You can say to your enemies “you thought you were doing something to me, but God is so mighty that he turned it around for my good.” God has to put you in certain situations so he can position you to speak life into someone else’s situation. When you’re comfortable, you start trusting yourself and not God. Its only when he puts you into certain situations that you can be used for his glory. God is always two steps ahead of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts! Come again soon!

Virtual Family Sunday Questions

What ways can we create community as a family? How has our viewership/church attendance enhanced or diminished our family covenant? What way...