Friday, April 14, 2017

MAKEOVER...The Power of a SECOND CHANCE

2

Sermon Text: John 20: 27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”
Sermon Title: The Power of a Second Chance
Point 1: The chance to doubt vs 25 So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!” Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it. [I will never believe ESV]”
Proverbs 16:13 says, “Kings take pleasure in honest lips.” Of course, God does too. And I also believe that if you seek God, you’ll find Him. 
Deuteronomy 4:49 says, “But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul.”
• I believe that if you honestly admit where you struggle with doubts, but you really want to know God in spite of them, He will lead you to a place where you will be content with the answers.
1 Chronicles 28:9 says, “If you seek Him, He will be found by you.” He also says in 
Malachi 3:10 – “Test me in this.” Go ahead. See if I don’t answer your questions.
Proverbs 16:13 says, “Kings take pleasure in honest lips.” Of course, God does too. And I also believe that if you seek God, you’ll find Him. 
Deuteronomy 4:49 says, “But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul.”
• I believe that if you honestly admit where you struggle with doubts, but you really want to know God in spite of them, He will lead you to a place where you will be content with the answers.
1 Chronicles 28:9 says, “If you seek Him, He will be found by you.” He also says in Malachi 3:10 – “Test me in this.” Go ahead. See if I don’t answer your questions.

Point 2: The chance to see for yourself vs 26 A week later…Jesus came and stood among them
• The 1st way Jesus dealt with a doubting disciple is this: He knew them. Thomas had said, “Unless I see Him and touch Him, I won’t believe.” 
• And when Jesus showed up, look at what He said: “Put your finger here in My side. See My hands. See the hole where the spear went it. Go ahead… touch it.”

• In fact, the 2nd way Jesus dealt with the need to see for himself: He invited him. Come here! Come look at me.

• And the 3rd way Jesus dealt with Thomas need to see for himself is this: He didn’t really scold Thomas for doubting.

Point 3: The chance to believe vs 27 …Do not disbelieve, but believe (29) Jesus said to him Have you believe because you have seen me? ESV Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believed.
• Jesus never minds proving himself. Jesus gave Thomas the chance to believe. Jesus wanted Thomas to believe. Jesus encouraged him to believe.

Life Application:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts! Come again soon!

Virtual Family Sunday Questions

What ways can we create community as a family? How has our viewership/church attendance enhanced or diminished our family covenant? What way...